Friday, March 30, 2012

Dusitn Durham and Safari Road- This "Two Lane" leads to one great country sound




If I had a dollar for every time I did something for no good reason, I would be a wealthy man. I walk around occasionally in a daze, wondering where the time slips off to. Mind you, it doesn't bother me too much since I seem to be taking care of business. But, I have come to a realization that not slowing down long enough to see what is going on around me is what really bugs me. A while back Melissa and I met a musician named Dustin Durham. He writes songs, and plays guitar for Safari Road.
Safari Road is a local band from Bosque County Texas that writes, and records, and performs pure Texas country from the heart, all over the state. For no good reason one day I was reading some e-mail correspondence between he and Melissa and ran across a couple of his songs, one of them being "Bosque Country Nights". It hit me that I had been in the little town he was singing about. It brought back memories of campfire picking and howling at the moon near Bosque Bottoms. So I decided to listen to the next tune called "Nightfall", and I hear more small-town Texas. I spend most of my time trudging around the DFW area, and I find it therapeutic to get back to the dirt roads, and small country towns of rural Texas. "FM 219" is a song everyone can identify with. Weather it’s where you live, where you want to live, or what you like to do it’s all in this song. "In My Own Time" personifies the Texas broken-hearted blues. It reminds me of Merle Haggard, or Waylon Jennings. The raw and soulful lap-steel guitar, and direct to the point lyrics make you feel the drama of the moment. "Sunshine" is an escape tune. It’s the 4-o-clock office daydream. The "Man it’s just too nice a day to be working!" feelings everyone knows. Kind of makes me want to play hooky from work and head to Galveston for the weekend. The remaining tunes "Change Your Mind", then "Superman", "Famous", and "Around" turned out to be great songs.
Before I knew it I had listened to the entire CD. Appropriately named "Two Lane", it’s available at all the usual online sites, or at any of their gigs. The CD boasts the phenomenal talents of Bob "Slim Bawb" Pearce who produced and sat in, along with Dusty. The album was released on www.radiofreetexas.org in early March of 2012, and already has five songs among the top in Texas music. The hit "FM 219 is currently at #6. The words and music of Safari Road is soothing and unrefined, clean-cut and well-played. The entire collection of songs is honest Texas country in purest form. It’s good for dancing, drinking, or just listening to when you are cooking out on the grill with your friends. So, if you’re out visiting your favorite Texas venue and Safari Road is playing, just throw a little sawdust on the floor and watch the magic happen. Remember while you are listening to "Two Lane" and Safari Road, it always helps to slow down and revel in the spontaneous moments of life. I promise you will be glad you did.

Dale Arnold
Co-owner, Co-Producer
Texas Red Productions
www.hwy82musicreview.com

No comments:

Post a Comment