Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Washers - "Tired Eyes" - A little texas band with a lot of heart




Growing up around South Texas I had the opportunity to get to know many classic country artists who passed through from Nashville. I got to see many greats such as Waylon Jennings, Moe Bandy and Joe Stampley, Marty Robbins, Hank Snow, and many more. I never knew there was an under-the-radar movement of great songwriters flowing just below this limelight. Although many years ago it seems, I will never forget how it felt the first time I heard a song by Doug Sahms, Ray Wylie Hubbard, or Townes Vanzant. Many times I exclaimed, “What great songs, how come I haven’t heard of these guys before now?” It was a rush of well-being. Just like finding a forgotten twenty dollar bill in the pocket of your jeans. It felt exhilarating, almost like finding buried treasure. It seemed to open a whole new chapter in my musical appreciation journal.
 A few weeks ago I was contacted to do a music review for a band of musicians from the Houston area I had never heard of calling themselves “The Washers”. I didn’t know what I was in for but I agreed to listen and find the time to write some words of encouragement. When I contacted Matt Kopycinski back asking him for a few of his favorites from their newly released CD entitled “Tired Eyes”, I literally had no idea what to expect. What I heard took me by surprise and back to those days in the late-seventies when I discovered Texas Americana and the likes. The immediate feelings of, “Why aren’t these guys touring all over the U.S. in a Prevost bus, packing every show to the front doors?” came back along with a flood of good memories. I started listening to each song, and making mental notes, trying to be professionally critical of the music. Pleasantly speaking, I found myself liking everything I heard, and having fun!
 The tempos in “Two Left Feet”, and “Like A Gypsy Should” immediately had my feet tapping, and my head nodding to the down-beat. The songs are polished, and recorded flawlessly, upbeat and totally dance-worthy. Even their mandatory “Texas song” “Here In Texas”,  was not the usual, overly self-absorbed, we-know-everyone-wants-to-be-a-Texan, trivial expression. It rings of missing loved ones waiting back in Texas, and how there is really no place like Texas. Harmonic vocal forms, and great lyrics permeate the bodacious ballads of “Park Light, Drive”, and “Regret”. These songs ring with sin, and the excitement of doing all the wrong things and making them feel so right.
By far my personal favorite has got to be “Ashes”. Not since The Mavericks went their separate ways have I heard such a blues-y, crying steel guitar, coupled with dynamite lead licks, and pinings of lost love, and jilted romance. A hauntingly good reverb sound and a little slide guitar tie it all together nicely. I listened to it several times over just to keep the feel of the moment.
The Washers are some of the best new Texas talent I have heard in a long time. It’s fresh, alive, and young country to the max. The musical styles of each of these multi talented musicians meld very well together. I’m what you might call a fan at first listen, and I’ll be catching up with these guys in person real soon. I got a huge hankering to take my "Two Left Feet" and spend the night making lots of four left turns with my sweetie.
 Hey! What do you know, I just found a twenty dollar bill in the back pocket of my old jeans. Must be my lucky day!

Dale Arnold
Co-Producer, Co-Owner
Texas Red Productions



No comments:

Post a Comment