Friday, May 4, 2012



Justin Bowerman

In Persuit of Life,Love and…well…Wild Game.



In the pine thickets of East Texas and forests of Southern Arkansas is where I grew up. My family hails from in and around the Texarkana area. During my early childhood and young adult life I hunted and fished almost every part of these areas. That is one of the main reasons why Justin Bowerman’s musical style has such a nostalgic attraction for me.
When I first got his CD "Rock You"  and even before I listened to his music, I took a long look at the musicians who recorded the material. Immediately I knew it was going to sound and be a great CD. The cover art was simple and un-cluttered sporting his unmistakable fish-hook signature logo, and some very tasteful and well placed candid photos. The music was recorded and produced by Stormy Cooper (The Roger Creager Band) at Stormy Cooper Media in Houston. Stormy also performed on the CD along with Josh Owen, and Allen Huff also of The Roger Creager Band. Veteran Bassist Rankin Peters who has been called the best Bass player in Texas. Others contributing their talents were Fiddle player Chris Whitten (The Cody Johnson Band), sound engineer Lyndon Hughes on drums and percussion, and the great Kenny Jackson on Steel Guitar. Slipping the CD into my player, I eagerly drank in every song. His voice has a smooth, velvet-like texture, easy on your ears. Justin can hold the vocal strong notes to just the right length.
Songs like “Jugline”, and “Deer Meat” are a sportsman’s anthem. I can picture all of the Hunter’s and Fishermen standing up when one of these songs comes on the radio. Removing their hats, and wiping a sympathetic tear from the corner of an eye. “Hell or High Water” continues the call of the wild. It speaks of stepping out of the daily grind and letting nature take its course. If you ask me, it could possibly start another back to the land movement.
Justin Bowerman has appeal for the ladies too with songs like “Rock You”, “Almost Love”, and “4th of July”. Justin shows he can write and sing a great country Love song that everyone will like. The Guys had better grab their best sweetheart and start boot-scootin’. I’ll bet the girls will be swooning and screaming at the edge of the stage when he belts out any of these tunes, or I’ll buy you a Kenny Chesney CD.
A personal favorite of mine is “Listen Good”. My wife has a saying whenever someone ends up telling her, a perfect stranger, their life story just like Justin sings in this song. She say’s “My sign must have been on”. Pertaining to the old Peanuts comics where Lucy has her psychology stand set out and gives Good old Charlie Brown her personal life advice for a nickel. It’s a song about how folks sometimes cope with the stress of everyday life, and the good-hearted people who get the wave of emotions that tend to spill out at awkward moments.
I’m not going to give away all of the gems Justin has put on this well made, great listening and fun compilation of songs. You will have to get his CD and judge for yourself. Justin Bowerman has all of the makings of a great singer and songwriter. He writes his lyrics from the heart, and his life. He has something to say through his music that every listener can relate to, and succeeds in bringing you right into his frame of mind. It shows Justin can hold his own, as far as song writing and musical skills go, with any of the popular artists out there today. I’m waiting on Justin to head out on tour so I can catch him live onstage. Watch your local venues for his name, and don’t miss out on hearing an All-American original like Justin Bowerman.

Dale Arnold
Co-Owner, Co-Producer
Texas Red Productions
~Where LIVE music is an addiction!


No comments:

Post a Comment